France, in Western Europe, encompasses medieval cities, alpine villages and Mediterranean beaches. Paris, its capital, is famed for its fashion houses, classical art museums including the Louvre and monuments like the Eiffel Tower. The country is also renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine. Lascaux’s ancient cave drawings, Lyon’s Roman Theater and the vast Palace of Versailles attest to its rich history.
1. France is the world’s most popular tourist destination
2. France is the largest country in the EU, and known as ‘the hexagon’
3. The first public screening of a movie was by French brothers Auguste and Louis Lumière on 28 December 1895
4. Paris Gare du Nord is Europe’s busiest railway station
5. French gastronomy was awarded UNESCO World Heritage Status in 2010